The PROBE Study
A 9-month randomised, parallel, double-blind, single-centre, placebo-controlled study assessed the impact of probiotic supplementation on body weight. Overweight participants aged 45–65 years with BMI 25–29.9 received a daily dose of either 50 billion Lab4P probiotics (35) or placebo (35) with no other changes to diet or lifestyle.
Lab4P probiotic supplementation for 9 months significantly reduced bodyweight by 3.76% in overweight 45 to 65 years old adults without any lifestyle restrictions.
40% of participants reached the desirable annual 5% weight loss beneficial for health and wellbeing.
The significant reductions in BMI, waist circumference and hip circumference were found.
The findings of this study support the outcomes of a previous PROMAGEN study with 220 overweight and obese participants.
This randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study aimed to assess the effect of 9-months’ supplementation with Lab4P probiotics on body weight in overweight adults.
- Lab4P probiotic supplementation (Group 2) resulted in significant weight loss compared to Group 1 (****P<0001, Fig. 1):
– A difference of -2.11kg at 3 months (2.51% reduction)
– A difference of -1.88kg at 6 months (2.19% reduction)
– A difference of -3.16kg at 9 months (3.76% reduction)
- By 9 months, 71% participants taking Lab4P probiotics (Group 2) had achieved 3% substantial weight loss compared to 17% participants in Group 1.
- 40% of participants in Group 2 reached the clinically meaningful weight loss (defined as 5% weight loss over a 6-12-month period) compared to 3% participants in Group 1. Consistent weight loss in Group 2 was observed even during the indulgent Christmas period (during months 6 to 9), whereas Group 1 gained weight during this period.
- A significant difference in BMI between groups at each time point were observed with a significant 3.73% reduction in BMI in Group 2 compared to Group 1 at 9 months (Fig. 2).
- At 9 months, 6 participants from Group 2 moved from overweight BMI status to healthy BMI status compared with 2 participants in Group 1.
Waist and Hip Circumference
- A significant reduction in waist circumference (WC) at each time point was observed in Group 2 compared to Group 1 with a 2.48% reduction at 9 months (-2.58 cm, Fig. 3).
- Similarly, significant changes in hip circumference (HC) were found over the study period. The supplementation with Lab4P probiotics (Group 2) resulted in a significant 2.36% reduction in HC compared to Group 1 at 9 months (-2.66 cm, Fig. 4).
Supplementation with the Lab4P probiotic for 9 months resulted in a significant reduction of body weight in the overweight 45 to 65 years old adults without any lifestyle restrictions. Furthermore, 40% of these participants reached the desirable annual 5% weight loss beneficial for health and wellbeing.
The findings of this second study with Lab4P probiotics support the outcomes of a previous PROMAGEN study with 220 overweight and obese participants.
A randomised controlled study shows supplementation of overweight and obese adults with lactobacilli and bifidobacteria reduces bodyweight and improves well-being
Probiotics reduce self-reported symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection in overweight and obese adults: should we be considering probiotics during viral pandemics?